What is Democracy?
Updated: Jan 14, 2020
Democracy means 'rule by the people' which means that ordinary people in a democratic country have the influence to change how the country is run. Democracy is associated with notions of liberty, equality and human rights.
The features of a democratic society include:
Having democratic processes means that:
- the government can be challenged and held to account for the decisions it makes
- people can discuss and bring about change on social inequality, social injustice and human rights issues
- the views of all citizens in that country can be heard
- decision makers and policy makers can be spoken to so that a good decision for the good of all people can be agreed
- ordinary people can influence change in society