Top tips for success at interview
Updated: Nov 23, 2020
An interview is a great opportunity for you to show your potential employer that you are the best person for the job. However, there are some things that you must do that will help you perform to the best of your ability:
1. Research the job that you have applied for and find out some information about the employer also. This will give you a better understanding of the place where you would like to work. You will become aware of the workplace's ethos, the business they deal in and what they expect of their employees.
2. Read over your application form as the questions asked by the interview panel may have been drafted from application forms and so reading over your form will refresh your memory of what you have written which will enable you to answer, the questions asked, with confidence.
3. Behave in a nice, appealing way that makes people want to get to know you better. Be pleasant to whoever greets you for the interview and smile, show interest and be keen for the job you are interested in.
4. Try not to be too nervous when you are at the interview. Listen carefully to the questions being asked, speak clearly and use personal experience to demonstrate your suitability for the job. Sit up straight and use positive, open, welcoming body language and when you make eye contact frequently, this shows that you are confident and know what you are talking about.
5. Think about your appearance. You want to give a good impression as this will show that you have made an effort to appear as your best for the interview. If you are dressed well, you will feel good about yourself and appear more confident in yourself. The interviewers may base their decision on appearance as well as communication, so you may have a better chance of being offered the job if you look smart.
6. At the end of the interview you may be asked if you have any questions. It usually creates a good impression if you can ask a question that is relevant, related to the job and/or is about the business.